“Rest when you’re weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work.” Ralph Marston
Today I’m feeling tired and need a bit of refreshing. I found lots of suggestions on the Internet and here are the ones I like with a few of my own added in:
1. Spend some time in prayer. There are several things bothering me today and I find that the best way to start the day is to pray. George Mueller chose to ask God to provide rather than asking other people. His faith was amazing, and God didn’t fail him.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast. Today, I’ll not skip breakfast, and I’ll make it a healthy start with milk and whole grain cereal.
3. Choose to drink enough water for the day. Summer time and especially around 4th of July celebrations, we tend to trade our water intake for other types of beverages. Refreshment becomes a choice. After reading an article in Science Daily, I will drink about 9 cups of water today. That seems about right for this time of year and my current level of activity.
4. Build a “think break” into the day. It seems that throughout the day, my brain keeps sending a signal that it needs some “time-out” just to think. Today, I’m heading to the library to give my brain a thinking break. I’ve heard of people going to the bathroom and just sitting for no reason in order to give the brain some refreshing. Others take a walk around the block or sit quietly for five minutes. Whatever your strategy, it might be helpful to schedule it.
5. Exercise. In large cities, we spend a lot of time exercising daily to get from place to place. So being out of my comfort zone has put me in a place where I have to re-think exercise. Though exercise requires exertion, the ironic thing is that it actually refreshes us.
6. Have an afternoon treat. Having something small to look forward to in the afternoon can bring needed refreshment. I’ve seen this in the classroom. In the morning, it’s fun to give the students a clue of an afternoon treat. It keeps them motivated to work throughout the day and it makes the day more enjoyable.
7. Reflect on the day. I find that if I reflect on my day before going to bed, I wake up feeling more refreshed. During my reflection time, I like to have a basic idea of what I will accomplish the next day. Just getting it organized allows me to sleep a lot better.
How will you refresh yourself today?
“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:2