“Our work is the presentation of our capabilities.” Edward Gibbon
I love and hate to present. I find it surprising that many people report they fear presentations even more than death. However, I do believe there is a certain good kind of stress that comes when we need to present something.
Starting young may be the best way to overcome stage fright, but I do believe that some presentation stress is still a good thing. After all, stress gives us the motivation we need to do a job well. A bit of stress helps us focus on main points and details. It also challenges us to prepare well.
Today, I’m doing a presentation about Prezi and Glogster. These are presentation tools in two very unusual formats. Both of these tools are amazing, and I find myself passionate to share. Whether or not I’m able to present my passion in a way that transfers to audience understanding is where the presentation comes into play.
Here are 5 reasons why I love and sometimes hate to present:
1. I have to prepare myself. Making a presentation requires (or should require) a lot of thought and preparation. This part I both love and hate, but it is needed for a good presentation.
2. I learn every time I present. Presenting makes me relearn something, in a way. My suggestion is that if there’s something you really want to know about, offer a presentation.
3. I enjoy meeting wonderful people. This is the part of the presentation I love. During conferences, I get to meet the nicest people. By attending and by presenting, I find I have a great time networking. If you want to meet more people, sign up to present.
4. I feel I’ve earned my keep after a presentation. After a presentation goes well, I feel a sense of relief. I feel grateful for the opportunity, and I feel I did what I should have for my company. Presenting well sheds nice light on our organization.
5. I share about my passions. If I share something I love, it always goes the best. It’s hard to share a passion without getting excited. When I get excited, I hope others around me will be doing the same! If I believe in a product, I want to be its ambassador!
Do you enjoy presenting? Is there a presentation you’d like to do?
Please leave a comment and share your presentation ideas.